Russia: Ventilator fire in St. Petersburg hospital kills COVID-19 patients
Several patients being treated for coronavirus have died after a ventilator caught fire, Russian news agencies say. Initial indications are that the device was overloaded.
At least five COVID-19 patients in the Russian city of St. Petersburg died on Tuesday after a ventilator caught fire in the intensive-care ward they were being treated in, according to Russian news agencies.
News agency Interfax quoted a source as saying that the patients had died from inhaling toxic substances released by the fire in the intensive-care unit located on the 6th floor of the hospital in the Vyborgsky district.
Rescue teams reportedly took 150 people to safety.
Authorities have reportedly launched an investigation into criminal negligence leading to death.